Firstly, what happened to Chec 1.0?
In 2013, we launched the first version of Chec with the goal of building our own payment platform. We wanted end to end control over the eCommerce experience for our customers. However, attempting to handle payments actually took us away from achieving any of this. We ended up spending more time dealing with payouts, chargebacks and fraud, than we did improving our core eCommerce functionality.
After a large surge in fraud and chargebacks, we were eventually unable to process payments on behalf of our merchants and ultimately had to shut down our payments functionality. Payment processing was core to Chec’s offering and so essentially disabled Chec 1.0 for the majority of our merchants.
With the help and feedback from over 5,000 merchants, we have been working hard to re-build Chec from the ground up. We learnt a lot from the first version of Chec and are now better equipped to power merchants, of all sizes in over 24 countries.
What's new? Everything!
Here are just a few...
- We’ve overhauled our design.
- Multiple fulfillment types per product. Sell a digital download with a physical item and issue a webhook call on completion.
- Integrations with 3rd party payment gateways.
- Our 2% transaction fee (excluding card processing fees).
- New built-in payments available in over 20 countries with 2 day rolling payouts. Sales made on Monday will be in your bank account by Wednesday (7 days in some countries). This is entirely powered by Stripe Managed Accounts.
- Improved PayPal integration.
- File size increases (up to 4gb).
- Global discount codes.
- You can now create your own self hosted checkout’s thanks to our Commerce.js SDK.
- Much more…
We are building Chec to be a modular eCommerce platform and API that allows merchants to build and customize their own eCommerce solutions. There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to eCommerce. Every single merchant needs a slightly different suite of features that works for them. Chec grows and adapts to the individual needs of the merchant, we're building Chec to be a stem cell for eCommerce.